Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 1/Day 2 Update

Don't worry, I'm not going to update after every day, or even every two days. That would get me several nominations for "Most Boring Blog of the Year"...although when I win, I could put the trophy right up on the shelf next to my "Parent of the Year" trophy!

Since we just had returned to Ohio on Sunday, we finished up a ton of errands and dropped Brady off at Grandma Lola's before making our 11 AM appointment with the radiation center. That appointment was quick; they took a few films of my neck and tongue, and the actual radiation itself took about 10 minutes. I didn't feel a thing; just claustrophobic in the mask that I wear that is formed to my face. I likely won't feel many side effects from the radiation for a few weeks. From here on out, I'll have my radiation at 4:00 every day. The time is a huge blessing because Jason can adjust his work schedule to be home for Brady and we don't need to find someone to take care of him every day.

After finishing radiation, we went upstairs in the same building for the chemotherapy. The Cancer Center I am being treated at is state of the art and has only been opened for a year. It is gorgeous. Everything is new, modern, and clean! I was placed in a chair by the floor-to ceiling windows with a great view of the lake effect snow! The chemo drug I am receiving is called Cisplatin, and the most obvious side effects are nausea and kidney damage. Because of the kidneys, I have to have IV hydration before and after the chemo infusion, including up to three days after chemo. So they first put me on a 2 hour IV drip, followed by 2 hour cisplatin, followed by another 1 hour of hydration. It was easy as pie for me. I read my book most of the time, also watched a little TV, and attempted to blow up my cell phone by texting almost non-stop!

We left around 5:30 and picked up Brady. Almost as soon as we got home, nausea set in fast even though the doctors put a strong anti-nausea med in my IV. I proceeded to vomit 8 times in 12 hours. That's a lot of lost sleep. Not to mention my stomach was practically empty so it was really painful. In the middle of the night, Jason called the doctor who promised to get us something stronger first thing in the morning.

So, we survived the night, which can only be described as pure torture. The nurse called around 11 AM and asked if we could come right away for my IV hydration, and they would give me several more anti-nausea drugs to try to get me feeling better. I feel better now after that round of treatment, but still not near 100%. I also have new anti-nausea meds that I can take here at home.

There you have it. Would appreciate prayer that the nausea goes away completely. I am such a wimp when it comes to throwing up! I am exhausted from all the meds as well - but I don't mind that! Posting this blog even takes a lot out of me. Now I plan to head for the couch and curl up under the blanket!

Thanks for your prayers. It means so much for us to hear from you all as well.
Angie (for the Hubbards)

15 comments:

The Essons said...

We are praying, praying, praying!

Thanks for taking the energy to update -I read it with many tears.

SO proud of you and love you!

Kathy said...

oh Angie, I'm sitting here in tears just thinking about how rough all that throwing up and sleeplessness must be. I'm so sorry this is such a tough road for you. Will be praying for the sickness to go away and for this aggressive treatment {and mostly God's healing hand} to heal you completely from this cancer.
lots of love, Kathy

Amy H said...

Angie, I'm so sorry about all that nausea! I really pray it is starting to clear up for you. I will also pray that God will be extremely close to you during this time and that you find comfort, rest and joy in that Presence. May He be glorified in you as you press on each day. Thank you for the update. I will read every one and keep the prayers going up on your behalf!

Anonymous said...

Angie, I'm so sorry for all the nasuea and throwing up. It what I had most to and when I get sick that always a prayer not to throw up. So, I'll be praying for you. I don't think looking at all the lake effect snow helped- they should put up a screen to show beautiful sandy beaches- that would be relax I think to relax and think about the the beach. Praying!

Cass said...

Oh Ange, your night does sound like torture ... I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry for all this.

I love it though that the first three on here is Steph, Kathy and Amy ... we love you so much!! :)

Laurel said...

Want you to know that I love you and am praying for you. If there is anything I can do, even just hang out and have a good laugh, let me know. Your attitude is way too awesome. I'm going to hang my head now and try not to ever complain about anything again!!!
You go girl!
Love Laurel
P.S. Go get Starbucks!!!

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about throwing up. I burst blood vessels in my face every time I do it. I am really feeling for you. I want to come tuck you in!

I am praying right now for no more nausea. Praying that you will have the energy for the stuff that matters. Honestly, I will read every word you post and won't get bored. Being so far away and unable to help in a tangible way, it is nice to hear the details.

I am proud of you. You are reflecting God in your words and actions. He is so proud of you. His heart is bursting with joy and it is all your fault!

Think about how much you love to see Brady do good things and reflect the good things in you and Jason. Magnify it 1 million times and that is how God is feeling about his precious child Angie.

Long distance hug...

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching up on your update and I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough night following chemo. I really believe the doctors can find you a better anti-nausea drug regimen---it just may take some experimenting. I hope that you are feeling much better today. I don't care if you post every day--would guess that I can speak for everyone when I say we are pulling for and with you. Go ahead and bore us with updates as you are able. Lots of LOVE from Don, Jen & Will Slagel

Unknown said...

Dear Angie,
I only know of you through my sister Robin who work with yoru hsuband. I live in Calif and my church is praying for you. We love you and know God's goodness is beyond all you could ever hope or ask.
love, Stephanie

Linda Kern said...

Angie, I am so glad you are able to keep us updated on how things are going because we can pray more specifically for you. My heart goes out to you both and you go through this trial. Praying for strength and courage for each step along the way. Praying that EVERY cancer cell will be destroyed and that you will find relief for the nausea. Love you! PS I have your name on the mirror in my bathroom and every time I go in there (often!!!) I think of you and pray for you!

Baby Steps said...

Does not sound like much fun!! Throwing up is never fun!!! Will be praying for you!!

ToesInTheWater said...

The Stratmans are praying for you. I've never been through that but I can still empathize in a small way. I am sorry you are having to deal with this, but I know you can do it. Never Give Up! God will see you through. He always does! Keep looking up! My mom said not to look at your storm but keep your eyes on Jesus. Things fall into perspective when your eyes are on Him. Tell Jason and Brady hello for me. Your friend, Daniel

Unknown said...

Angie we are holding you up in prayer. I'm sure they are praying right now at the fellowship prayer meeting. I'm so sorry that you are experiencing such nausea and trust the docs can find something more suitable for you. Am sending some meals over for your men and you if you are able to eat. Love you, Karen

El Jefe said...

The Omaha DeArments were with you in action. We also spent Monday night throwing up. I can't imagine facing the prospect of having that for two months. Give my love to Jason and Brady and I'll keep my church praying!

Marcie said...

Oh Angie, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Having a son so close in age, I can't imagine how hard it is to be away from him so much and to feel so icky. I am praying for you, Jason, and Brady as you go down this rough road. Praying the Lord would be ever near and provide the physical, emotional, and spiritual strength to get through this.