Friday, June 25, 2010

Green Thumbs...and Fingers...and Occasionally Toes, too

I literally have a green thumb today...in fact every finger on my right hand is green. I guess it was a waste of money to buy those cute gardening gloves if I'm not going to wear them! Our garden is growing...almost excessively! Lately I've been doing a lot of pruning. I enjoy working in the garden while Brady "helps"...such as today when he helped by sitting on the onions and pulling a couple of green tomatoes.

This is what our garden looked like mid-May - Jason built me two raised beds and filled them with soil and fertilizer from a friend's farm. Every single plant and seed is an experiment. We have NO idea what we are doing. Our pepper plants, two tomato plants, onions, zucchini, cucumber, eggplant, peas, beans, spinach, and lettuce (yes, it's all there!)
And here we have six tomato plants and several herbs, plus a strawberry plant in there somewhere...(photo still from mid-May)And here we are about two weeks ago. You can see the zucchini and peas are having a turf war, the tomatoes are turning to bushes, and nobody should ever attempt to eat that much lettuce.
I wish I had photos ready of the garden today - each tomato plant has easily grown another foot (the tomato plant in back has grown about six inches past the window!) and the zucchini has decided to take over everything. I pruned quite a bit today to clean it all up and should have done it sooner. So far we have only been able to sample the lettuce and the peas. I can't wait for everything else to be ready! The sore back, sunburn, green phalanges, etc has all been worth it - gardening is FUN! :)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful! I started a little late this year (oops!) because we had such a super rainy season and our soil was just waterlogged for most of may....you should check out my facebook video of Jack "helping" me plant beans. It sounds like he and Brady have similar ideas of "helping!" :)

The Essons said...

Looks awesome Ange! You are quite the gardener lady!

Rachel said...

Looks good! Do you have an advice on pruning squash...mine is taking over the garden!

The Sayres said...

I love it - I did my first garden this summer too, and my cucumbers are taking over everything - but i guess you can put poles up for them to climb because they are vine types. I did sugar snap peas and with out knowing it bought the 6 foot high vine ones, they are growing like weeds, and I have put up numerous steaks with rope between for them to climb on it. Your garden looks great. The bunnies somehow got in and ate all my lettuce, so I am hoping it comes back! Good Luck with yours!!!