Thanks to everyone for your prayers. We are so thankful for a faithful body of believers and the many prayer warriors that we know. Last night I (Angie) slept through the night right up until 9 AM. I have had problems sleeping for a few years now, so that was a huge blessing. We are sure it was because of everyone's prayers.
A little background on how we came to this diagnosis...around March of this year a sore formed on the underside of my tongue. It was pretty painful, but I thought it was just a cold sore or something and would go away in time. When I was in Iowa in May, it flared up pretty badly. I showed it to my friend, Linda, and she looked me in the eye and said, "you need to go to the doctor". In June I met with my primary doctor and showed her the sore. I said, "It's been there for a few months and is crazy painful"...she said, "Months?!? You need to see a specialist." She referred me to an Ear, Nose, and Throat Specialist named Dr. Philip Khalil at Ohio Valley Head and Neck Surgery.
Dr. Khalil examined the spot in late June and said he wasn't sure what it was. Most of you know that I am not a smoker or drinker and I don't chew tobacco (ha! it's funny just to say that), so the doctor felt that the likelihood of it being a cancerous spot was pretty low. He prescribed a mouthwash for me that had several different treatments in it...he said if they spot didn't go away completely, he needed to biopsy it. Since my risk was so low for cancer, he was willing to try the prescription first.
I went back for my follow up appointment with little improvement in the sore. Dr. Khalil determined that he needed to remove the spot and biopsy it at the same time. I had this procedure done last Tuesday, September 1. A large chunk is now missing from my tongue. I'd post a picture, but it is just too gross.
Yesterday was my post-op appointment. I am so glad that Jason was with me. Dr. Khalil cut right to the chase. He said, "The pathology report came back, and the tumor that we removed was cancerous. I am not going to sugar coat this for you. This is a dangerous and aggressive cancer called Squamous Cell Carcinoma. The good news is that I believe we have caught it early"...talk about having the wind knocked out of you.
I didn't hear much past this, even though the doctor had a lot more to say. My mind went to how much this is going to cost, what are we going to do with Brady, I hope Jason doesn't have to go back to work today, Brady needs an animal cracker, we have so many people to call, I am scared, I want to see my son grow up, I guess we aren't having more babies anytime soon, what's for dinner tonight, and so on and so on! Jason has repeated a few things that the doctor said to us that I didn't even hear.
We left the doctor's office with consent forms signed for our next surgery, a few dates of scheduled tests, and more information that I haven't even looked at. We knew we had to be with people so Jason called some of our trusted friends at the Mission. We went there and talked with them, cried, prayed together, and left feeling encouraged.
And, we have made a bazillion phone calls since then to ask Emmaus Bible College, Haven of Rest, our church family at ACC in Dubuque, and all the believers we know around the world to pray for us!
Jason has been really strong even though I know he is scared. Brady has been a joyful distraction as he is such a bundle of energy right now. We are so thankful for him, as he is sure to provide mommy with much entertainment in the coming months.
Today, we spent the morning on the phone, again, and then went to Sam's Club and stocked up on a few things. I am feeling the need to "nest", sort of like before Brady was born. I will feel better when my cupboards are stocked, the laundry is finished, the house is clean, and my Emmaus work is caught up. I am sure in the coming months I will find comfort in my daily tasks.
Many of you have asked what you can do, and right now the only answer is that you can pray. We will do our best to let people know of our practical needs throughout this ordeal. I will try to keep this blog as updated as possible so that people are informed. Please feel free to let people know that they can check here for updates. Comments are very encouraging, but not necessary.
We feel so loved and are so thankful for our family and friends.
This is the song that is stuck in my head right now, from my days of teaching Sunday School..."My God is so BIG, so STRONG and so MIGHTY, there's nothing my God cannot do, for YOU!" And also, Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You."
Love to all,
Angie
12 comments:
thanks for the update... even though I knew most of it... it's good to re-read it again!
I LOVE that Brady can be a pleasant distraction! What a blessing!
Love you...
praying for you all!
Angie and Jason,
I have been wondering about you and Marilyn Henry e mailed me. I hadn't looked at Thursdays post--thus I went straight to The Hubbies. I won't say I know what you are going through as no one can say that without experience. I was just shocked to read your blog. So many things in life we don't understand. PRAYER is our answer. I just think of you and Jason as special friends.
mary jordan
Hey there guys. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading your updates and I am still praying. Just wanted to share a couple of verses that have really helped me in my difficult times.
Zephaniah 3:17
Psalm 91 (whole chapter)
John 10:10 and of course
Jeremiah 29:11
Blessings!
Roxie
We are praying for all of you!!!
Angie,
I don't even know where to start. Know that I am already praying for you and won't stop! I certainly have a unique perspective into how Jason feels although I have not walked in your shoes. What I can tell you for sure is that the next few days will be your darkest because of all the unknowns. And, once your treatments start and you get more answers, you will gain confidence and feel much more "in control" and everything will seem much brighter and optimistic. One piece of advice--do not research your cancer on the internet. I'm sure you already have (it's too tempting not to) but there is just too much info out there and it will do nothing but scare you even further. Trust in your doctors who know your specific case and treatment. Trust in the Lord who will not fail you. And, know that I am here if you ever need to talk. You will be in my constant thoughts and prayers as you begin your fight. You are uniquely equipped with your solid faith and the love from your family and friends to take this journey. I will anxiously wait for updates. All my love, Jen
Angie,
Thank you for filling us in. My heart is sad for you, yet joyful in knowing that you have the Lord to cling to and trust in. There is nothing better than that and I look forward to seeing how the Lord will become so much more real and close to you during this difficult time. He has a way of doing that (I have known it) which is so special, as hard as it seems at the time.
I was thrilled to read about how well you slept last night. I was specifically praying for your ability to sleep last night around midnight your time! Isn't God good like that?
That song is just right for you! :) Please, please let me know if there is anything I can do (other than pray, which I have been doing under my breath non-stop since reading your post yesterday). May you have more peaceful nights sleeps in the future and thank yo for the update!
Angie, what a disturbing text I received about you today. Haven't talked to you in forever, I just wanted to tell you we're praying hard for you down here in Georgia. Hug your man and kiss your boy for me.
Love and prayers, -DT
SO glad that you slept well last night. I pray for that good rest to continue in the days and weeks ahead. You were in my thoughts and prayers today -love you SO much Ange!
Lots of prayers going up from Colorado!
Praying for you!
Tim and Melissa Loudon
Praying in Thunder Bay
Post a Comment