Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Weekend Update (finally)

I'm hoping sometime soon I'll be all caught up on life and then my blog will never be late again. Right!

We had a wonderful first anniversary celebration. We headed for Cincinnati (about 4 hours away) on Friday night after Jason got off work. We stayed at Evan and Juanita Davis' house on Friday night (Evan is on the board at Emmaus. They are wonderful people!) and hit the road by about 9 AM on Saturday morning after a yummy breakfast of homemade bread, fresh fruit, and double chocolate coffee cake. YUM!

We hit the Creation Museum first. We both agreed that it was very well done, but maybe a little overpriced. It was swarming with church groups in matching t-shirts. We spent half our time there trying to get ahead of the blue t-shirt group because they were s-l-o-w. You definitely have to spend a lot of time reading to get the most out of it. Jason and I don't really go to museums to read; we go to see cool stuff. So we did enjoy the Noah's Ark display and had a good laugh at the strategically placed plants, bushes, and hair that covered Adam and Eve. We felt the planetarium was unimpressive and were kicking ourselves for paying extra for it. The guy sitting next to me was sleeping hard; he was just short of drooling and snoring. (No, it wasn't Jason!)

From there we moved on to downtown Cincinnati and checked into our hotel and got ready for the baseball game (Reds vs. Braves). I did not anticipate the hot weather. I had checked the weather the day before and it said overcast with a 60% chance of rain. So we were unprepared for the baking hot sun and the farmer's tan that resulted. We actually left in the seventh inning, which is something we don't do as baseball fans, but since we weren't fans of either team and we'd already seen Ken Griffey Jr's home run #599, we didn't feel guilty.

We stopped back at our hotel and changed into non-sweaty clothes and then went for a steak and ribs dinner at the Rock Bottom Brewery. Food was good and we got to watch the end of the baseball game we had just left!

After dinner, on a whim, we took a horse-drawn carriage ride around downtown Cincinnati. This was a spur of the moment decision but neither of us regretted it since Jason had proposed to me on a horse-drawn carriage ride around downtown Chicago. It made sense that we would take another ride to celebrate our first anniversary. The weather was perfect by that point and Cincinnati is a really beautiful city.

The next morning we both slept in. Jason slept until 9:15 which is very odd for him - he never sleeps past 7 AM on any weekend morning. It's rare that I wake up before him - I'm not even sure that it's happened before in our short marriage! I checked to make sure he was still breathing and then tiptoed my way around the room until he woke up. We took our time getting ready for the day; checked out of the hotel and drove the few miles to the Newport Aquarium.

We both really liked the aquarium. Sharks were abundant, and we all know how much I like sharks. They don't freak me out at all. We saw a cool dive show where the diver gave the presentation from the tank while sharks swam all around him. There is not enough money in the world that would convince me to do that for a living.

After the aquarium we had a quick lunch and then hit the road. It was a great weekend; although we were both wiped out by the time we got home.

Since then we've been catching up. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. We found out that Brady the monster is not quite as big as we were originally told. PHEW. The same ultrasound tech that told us he weighed 4.5 pounds actually put in her report that he weighed 2 pounds 10 ounces. Which is still measuring ahead, but not nearly as much! We both heard her say 4.5 pounds so we aren't sure what's up with that. Jason is a bit disappointed as he is seeing Brady's future as a linebacker for Ohio State slipping through the cracks. I told him not to worry; he can still be a lefty pitcher for the Cubs.

Last night we had Lee over for dinner and then the three of us when to Indiana Jones. I enjoyed the movie (although a bit cheesy) but I am definitely getting to the point where Brady is everywhere and it's no longer comfortable in many sitting positions. He constricts my stomach (hello heartburn!) and lungs making it hard to breathe. His feet are in my ribs and that feels weird! Not to mention I have to go to the bathroom all the time! The feet and ankles are still swollen and to add to it all I had a terrible headache yesterday. So I was a bit uncomfortable during the movie. I am sure I am preaching to the choir with every woman that has ever been pregnant before. And he's just going to get bigger! But I do love it every time he moves - I can see it from the outside now. He sure kicked me when we talked with the midwife about circumcision, LOL!!!

My parents arrive this Thursday and will stay until next Wednesday. We are looking forward to having them here in our home in Ohio for the first time. I think they are excited about visiting their favorite grandson, favorite son-in-law, and favorite daughter! We have two baby showers this weekend (one at Haven of Rest and one at church) and also will be doing some baby projects around the apartment and of course baby shopping and a baseball game in Cleveland. Until then, I need to get this house clean because my mom has the Dutch eye for dirt.

Again, I am long winded. But I just wanted to add to this post that I am so thankful for my patient, loving husband. I would marry you a million times over, Jason Hubbard! I can't wait to meet our little boy and I look forward to many more years of married bliss.

And now, the pictures...out of order because I don't have the energy to rearrange them!

Jason kept trying to get a picture of me with the sharks but I refuse to take my eye off them even for a second.
Jason says this resembles his childhood home.
duh-nuh, duh -nuh, duh-nuh, duh-nuhDo you think I participated in this activity?What can I say, we are sooooo mature!Great American BallparkOur rental car (hahahahaha)
Our carriage ride
(those pics you take yourself never turn out good!)
Me feeding the horse "Dooby" a treat. He slobbers.
I told you the Adam and Eve display was funny.
Noah's Ark
Jason thinks he could wrestle these guys.
That's it! See ya next week!

5 comments:

The Essons said...

A fun trip! Happy one year anniversary Ange! Love you guys!

El Jefe said...

Let Jason know if he needs a tag-team partner I'm up for it.

Jessie said...

Happy Anniversary! I agree about the sharks.I am really scared of them and you could not pay me to get in a tank with them.

Anonymous said...

How can you do so much in one weekend?! WHen I go someplace I go for a rest. And to get away from the kids, which happens once a month and on our anniverary.

Glad you had a great time- Cinnci is the best!

Williams' Family said...

Hey Angie,
Any news on Steph yet???? Baby yet???