Saturday, December 1, 2007

Weekend Update #4

What we did this weekend: (in a nutshell)
Grocery Store, Library, Scrabble, Card Games, Movies, Reading, Football, Napping, Peanut Butter Fudge, Relaxing. THERE! I'm signing off, this blog is done!

Ha ha, you aren't getting off that easy! Here's the real update...how are we doing?

What's new with our house?
We are going on five months on the market and no buyers. Just this week we had two very interested buyers (a single lady and a younger couple) who both decided to "pass" on buying a house at all. Bummer! Looks like we will own this condo into the spring, at least. It's sad to me because I am starting to resent this house and the fact it hasn't sold. This house was such an exciting purchase for me - I loved everything about it - it was perfect for me! It meant independence, no longer being a slave to rent, and it was a great investment. Jason and I had four great months as newlyweds in that house - we would have uprooted it and moved it to Ohio if we could have. Now I want to be rid of it and consider it only a financial strain. Grrrr!

However...I know the Lord is teaching us to trust Him to sell our house. I believe it will happen, and not a moment before He has planned! The wait is what kills me.

How is Jason's job?
He loves it. This ministry is why we moved here...and I'm thrilled when Jason comes home happy and content with his work. He works primarily with the men who are residents at the Haven of Rest. They come from a variety of different backgrounds - maybe from the streets, maybe from a difficult family situation, maybe from a tragedy - but at one time they all decided they needed help and ended up at the Haven. Jason is able to share his story with these men. They all live and work at the mission. Okay, I'll let Jason take it from here:

As far as what I (Jason here) actually do, well let's just say that changes from day to day. My primary responsibilities include overseeing the men to make sure they are making it to class, their jobs, the learning center,etc... on time. Occasionally I will teach a class or two. The teaching will expand with time. I am also on the schedule to do a chapel service for the homeless men and women a few times a month. In the future I will need to work toward getting formal training in counseling (the mission wants us to get all settled in first!). Overall I love my job and I actually do look forward to going to work. Praise God for His faithfulness (1 Timothy 1:12-17)!

How am I doing with the adjustment?
Most of you know that Jason knows quite a few people in the area. I, however, knew about the people here, but didn't have any established relationships. This has been a struggle for me, because living in Dubuque I was surrounded by friends and always had someone to talk to or hang out with. I'm honestly doing okay; just with occasional bouts of loneliness. My dear husband is very patient with me. I think the loneliness is compounded by the fact that I am working from home and spend lots of time with me, myself, and I. I am joining a BSF group this week (Bible Study Fellowship) that meets on Wednesday mornings. I am looking forward to getting to know a few different ladies through this ministry and also study the Word. We also have established a few relationships here and I'm enjoying getting to know the ladies that work at the Mission - they are all a caring, fun-loving bunch - and they think Jason is great, so that means they have to like me!

We did notice that my name is not always remembered...I think it's funny; I'm really not offended. I have enough trouble with names! Just this morning we saw a couple at church. They said "HELLO Jason!!" and then looked at me and said "Hello there!"...we laughed, and I said I'm just going to save everyone the trouble and change my name to "there" :)

Have we found a church?
No. But we haven't missed a Sunday! We are still spending time at The Chapel, and I would be fine with making that our church home. However, we feel like we need to look around a bit before settling down. We will likely try a new church next Sunday. Today's service was great - the speaker was Knute Larson (aka Charles Stanley) - he is probably our favorite speaker, but he's retiring at the end of the year! They also celebrated the Breaking of Bread a different way, by having everyone "come to the table" instead of passing around the elements. It was mass chaos for awhile, but we found our way and when we got back nobody had stolen my purse, LOL! I still miss ACC's Breaking of Bread but I'm confident we will find a church that feels like "home" in time.

Jason and I are learning anew that the Lord loves us, provides for us, and desires us to trust in Him. We've had a few downers this week, yet at the same times we've had peace about what is in store. We've also had some great news this week. And as I learned in church a few Sundays ago, "Remember God from hard times for better days are near and these too are His provision." Thanks for reading our blog, and for praying for us! We love you!

P.S. Only 23 days until Christmas! We'll be home in Atlantic for five days, I can't wait! We also have a visit from Matt and Steph to look forward to. Then the second week of January I'll be heading to Dubuque for a few days for meetings. Girls, we must plan a get-together for sometime during the 7th - 10th!!!

7 comments:

Ckreifels said...

What a great post, reminding us all Who deserves the thanks in our lives! When will you be in A-town? :)

The Essons said...

LOVE YOU ANGE! Great post -great reminders of God's love and faithfulness to us!

DottieV said...

Did I miss what the great news was this week?!! Thanks for reminding all of us about the faithfulness of the Lord - I am praying for that house to SELL, but I am glad to know you are learning life lessons in the process - stand back and be amazed at what He will do! And keep trusting! Great to hear about what Jason does at Haven too. Stay steadfast...

El Jefe said...

My church does the 'come to the table' thing as well. We do communion weekly also.

Joel said...

Kari's cell: 720-891-0627

Katie Balthrop said...

Hi Angie! I just saw your comment on our blog and checked you out as well. Consider yourself reverse-stalked. I also looked at some of your 'blogs we read' so I've more than doubled your original stalk by extending it to your friends and family. Anyway, it's great to catch up on your life and really nice to hear from you. I hope you find tons of friends and fellowship in Akron and that your wonderful little house sells fast! Take care, Katie (Woods) Balthrop

Anonymous said...

Let us know when you're in Atlantic. I think we'll be there quite a bit the week after Christmas b/c my parents are (finally!) moving into their new home that week. If you are free for coffee or lunch, please let me know! Have a great week!